1. Find out your move date. . Near the end of your housing eligibility period or at least one month prior to vacating, submit a Vacate Notice Form to email@example.com. (Note that moves are not permitted on Sundays or holidays.)
2. Coordinate your move with the Resident Manager. Once your move date is confirmed, contact the building’s Resident Manager to schedule freight elevator access and an apartment inspection. If you are using a commercial moving company, they must submit a Certificate of Insurance (COI) to the Property Manager.
3. Contact ConEdison to end your electric and gas services. If you don’t cancel these services, ConEdison will continue to bill you even after you move out.
4. Have cable TV, internet, and/or a phone line? Disconnect your service. Notify your provider that you need to end your service. The effective date must be before the date you vacate your apartment, and you must schedule any needed equipment pick-ups (e.g. cable boxes, routers, etc.) before you leave. Southtown and Riverwalk management are not responsible for returning any equipment or allowing service providers into a vacant apartment.
5. File a change of address with the US Postal Service. You can file your request online. Any mail that arrives at your residence after you move out will be returned to the post office.
6. Clean your apartment. Please pack all of your belongings, sweep the floor and remove any décor from the walls. Please also remove all food items from the kitchen, defrost the refrigerator, and clean appliances and all surfaces.
Once we receive your keys, we will inspect your apartment/unit for any cleaning issues or damages beyond normal wear and tear. If necessary, we will charge you any applicable fees.
7. On your move-out day, complete a Check Out Form and return your keys. Please bring the form and keys to concierge desk. A staff member will then accompany you to your apartment to conduct a quick inspection. You—the resident—must be present for this inspection. Please do not give your keys to a roommate, friend or family member.
As you move your belongings, please keep safety in mind. Do not prop open any doors, leave your items unattended on the street, or leave your vehicle unlocked.
8. Make your final payment.
Housing charges are billed according to the date you completely vacate your apartment and return your keys. (Note that faculty and postdoctoral license fees are based on a tenancy that is not less than 12 months. A 5% surcharge per month will be applied to any tenancy that is less than 12 months.). If you're transferring, Housing charges for your new unit are billed according to the date pick up your new keys.
Move Out of WCM Housing
|Day of the Month Keys Returned||Amount Charged|
|1-7||1/4 of the monthly charge|
|8-14||1/2 of the monthly charge|
|15-21||3/4 of the monthly charge|
|22- End of the month||Full monthly charge|
Transfer Within WCM Housing
|Day of the Month Keys Picked Up||Amount Charged for New Unit||Amount Charged for Old Unit|
|1-7||Full monthly charge||No charge|
|8-14||3/4 of the monthly charge||1/4 of the monthly charge|
|15-21||1/2 of the monthly charge||1/2 of the monthly charge|
|22- 28||1/4 of the monthly charge||3/4 of the monthly charge|
|29-31||No charge||Full monthly charge|