Please follow the steps below if you're moving off-campus or to another building within Weill Cornell Medicine. You can also download this Move-Out Checklist for easy reference.
1. Find out your move date.
- Postdocs and MD Students: Near the end of your housing eligibility period, Housing staff will send you a reminder that includes the date you need to vacate your apartment/room.
- Ph.D. Students: Ph.D. students are required to vacate WCM/MSK housing within 60 days following their final examination date.
If you wish to move out before the end of your eligibility period, please notify us at least one month prior to your move-out date by submitting a Vacate Notice Form to email@example.com. (Note that moves are not permitted on Sundays or holidays.)
2. If needed, coordinate your move with the Resident Manager. Once your move date is confirmed, contact the building’s Resident Manager to schedule freight elevator access, if needed. If you are using a commercial moving company, they must submit a Certificate of Insurance (COI) to the manager.
3. File a change of address with the US Postal Service. The US Postal Service considers The House at Cornell Tech a commercial building, so you must submit a paper Change of Address Request Form in-person at the Lenox Hill post office (near our main campus). Any mail that arrives after you move out will be returned to the post office.
4. Clean your apartment. Please pack all of your belongings, sweep the floor, and remove any décor from the walls. Please also remove all food items from their kitchen, defrost the refrigerator, and clean appliances and all surfaces.
Keep in mind that once we receive your keys, we will inspect your apartment/room for any cleaning issues or damages beyond normal wear and tear. If necessary, we will charge you any applicable fees.
5. On your move-out day, safely move your belongings and return your keys. As you move your belongings, please keep safety in mind. Do not prop open any doors, leave your items unattended on the street, or leave your vehicle unlocked. Once you're done moving your belongings, bring your keys to The House concierge desk.
6. Make your final payment.
Housing charges are billed according to the date you completely vacate your apartment and return your keys to the concierge desk in the lobby. (Note that faculty and postdoctoral license fees are based on a tenancy that is not less than 12 months. A 5% surcharge per month will be applied to any tenancy that is less than 12 months.)