Newly-accepted students typically receive housing assignments in July, and move-ins dates for most students are scheduled for mid-August. Your housing assignment notice will include specific details on where you’ll live, when you can move in, and where to pick up your keys and sign your housing agreement.
Preparing for Your Move
Furnishings vary from building to building. Please refer to your specific building page for details. Note that you may not remove any furniture from apartments in MSK or The House at Cornell Tech. In Lasdon and Olin, you may only remove your bed.
What to Bring
Suggested items include:
- Linens: Sheets, pillows, a comforter or quilt, and towels
- Dinnerware and flatware: Cups, mugs, plates, bowls, and silverware
- Cookware: Cutting board, knife, a few pots and pans, and food storage containers
- Clothing: A variety of clothing items for all seasons. The average high temperature in NYC in August is 82°F, while the average low temperature in February is 27°F.
- Cleaning supplies: Paper towels, sponges, cleaning sprays, small vacuum, etc. Residents are responsible for cleaning their bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchen areas.
- Toiletries: Soap, shampoo, conditioner
- Household items: Toilet paper, light bulbs, batteries
- Decor items: Plants, posters, photos of family and friends
- Laundry bag or hamper and detergent
- Computer and surge protector
Residents of Olin Hall may also bring a small refrigerator (must have an electrical draw of 4 amps or less).
Please do not bring microwave ovens, toaster ovens, air conditioners, space heaters, full-size refrigerators, waterbeds, hot plates, laundry machines, halogen lamps, any other major household appliances, and any items listed as prohibited in your housing agreement.
Pets of any kind are strictly prohibited in Weill Cornell Medicine residences.
You may ship personal belongings to yourself at your new residence, but please arrange for any shipped items to be delivered after you arrive.
Your Move-In Day
When you arrive at the Weill Cornell Medicine campus:
- Pick up your keys: Please refer to your housing assignment email for details on where to pick up your keys on your arrival date. You will need to complete a few pieces of paperwork before you get your keys.
- Unload your vehicle: Depending on your building, carts may be available in the lobby. Do not leave any belongings on the street or leave your car unlocked without a friend or family member standing nearby.
- Park: After unloading your vehicle, you must move your car to a legal street parking space or a public parking garage near your building.
- If you are not in the MD or PA program, make your first housing payment:
- Students assigned to WCM Residences: You will receive instructions from the WCM Housing Office on how to make your first housing payment in our online payment portal. After your first payment, your housing fee will be paid via automatic payroll deduction.
- Students assigned to MSK Residences: You will receive instructions on how to make your first housing payment in-person at the MSK Housing Office. After your first payment, your housing fee will be paid via automatic payroll deduction.
Life in WCM Housing
Please refer to our Current Residents section for details on mail and package delivery, maintenance requests, and more.