1. Find out your move date.
- Housing Reassignments: If you are moving to a new Weill Cornell housing assignment, the Housing Office will notify you of your move date. They will provide details on when and where you can pick up your keys, when you must fully vacate your current, and where to return your current keys.
- End of Housing Eligibility: Near the end of your housing eligibility period, Housing staff will send you a reminder that includes the date you need to vacate your apartment/room. If you wish to move out before the end of your eligibility period, please notify us at least one month prior to your move-out date by submitting a Vacate Notice Form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Have cable or a land phone line? Disconnect your service. Notify your cable and/or phone provider that you need to end your service. The effective date must be before the date you vacate your apartment/room, and you must schedule any needed equipment pick-ups (e.g. cable boxes, routers, etc.) before you leave. Housing is not responsible for returning any equipment or allowing service providers into a vacant unit.
3. File a change of address with the US Postal Service. The US Postal Service considers Lasdon and Olin commercial buildings, so you must submit a paper Change of Address Request Form in-person at our local post office at 217 E. 70th Street. Any mail that arrives after you move out will be returned to the post office.
4. Clean your apartment/room. Please pack all of your belongings, sweep the floor and remove any décor from the walls. Lasdon residents must remove all food items from their kitchen, defrost the refrigerator and clean appliances and all surfaces. Olin Hall residents must remove personal belongings from the common kitchen.
Once we receive your keys, we will inspect your apartment/room for any cleaning issues or damages beyond normal wear and tear. If necessary, we will charge you any applicable fees.
5. On your move-out day, return your keys. Please bring your keys to the Housing Service Desk in the Olin Hall lobby. You—the resident—must return these items in person. Do not give your keys to a roommate, friend, or family member. If you are moving off-campus, you must also complete a Check-Out Form.
As you move your belongings, please keep safety in mind. Do not prop open any doors, leave your items unattended on the street or leave your vehicle unlocked.
6. Pay your new housing fee.
Housing charges are billed according to the date you completely vacate your apartment/room and return your keys.
|Day of the Month Keys Returned||Amount Charged|
|1-7||1/4 of the monthly charge|
|8-14||1/2 of the monthly charge|
|15-21||3/4 of the monthly charge|
|22- End of the month||Full monthly charge|